Sunday, April 12, 2015

Surprise Party

This year we celebrated Jon's birthday a few times.  We celebrated while his family was in town and then I threw a surprise party Saturday.  When I asked our friends to attend the surprise they kept wondering how I would be able to prep and pull this off with him around.  Lucky for me his is pretty oblivious when it comes to cooking so he didn't notice that I fixed 3 times the amount of meat I normally cook for taco rice or that I made an entire veggie tray for our "family dinner."  In the afternoon I asked the girls to pick up their toys and then started picking up and even got him to clean the house for his own party.  He was on vacuuming duty while I had the girls clean the bathroom and kitchen table and I kept prepping dinner.  Once everything was clean I asked if we could play cornhole - again having him set it up really for his birthday since my original plan was to play with friends.  We played 2 games and he won twice and it was 5:05 and the party didn't start until 5:30 and my plan was to have him go to the store to get the lettuce that I purposely forgot to buy so I asked to play a short game to 10.  Well 3 bags in the hole later we played the entire game and I declared winners had to go get the lettuce and got him out the door with our 2 little kids at 5:23.  Friends started to arrive at 5:30 and then he was back by 5:40.  This is where it got fun as everyone was hiding Kelly was misbehaving and I tried to get her and Jon's response was no I need to talk with her since she is disobeying me and then he walked in the door to everyone yelling surprise!!!  Needless to say he was a little surprised and Kelly's talking to was delayed.  We all ate some taco rice and then started playing games but not cornhole since it started to rain.  One friend brought a card game called We Didn't Playtest This and we played a few rounds of it before we served the cake.  Another friend had made the cake and it had a surprise to - she made an imploding cake.  We had Jon cut it and when incompletely fell apart when he cut into it his face was priceless and he kept asking if he ruined the cake and was there another one.  After bringing out the real cake we all ate that and settled in for some more games.  The kids ran around and played Doc McStuffins Operation while the adults played Wits and Wagers, Cranium and Settlers of Catan.  Late into the night we started movies for the kids while we kept playing games and they all crashed on the couch which turned into an impromptu sleepover for them all.  It was a fun day of surprises and fun for all!
The "volcano" cake

Excited for chocolate peanut butter cake!

Oh crap - what just happened.

Eating the real cake

The kids couldn't hang for all the games.

1 comment:

Mandy said...

Happy Happy Birthday from TX Jon!!!